Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Weather

It's officially summer.  The expected high of 95 with 85% humidity in New England today ensures all the poor souls who venture outdoors risk the very probable chance that they will melt into a puddle.

Weather is an interesting thing.  We all experience it and react to it.  For those of us unfortunate enough to have fine curly long hair, it makes for adventurous hair on humid days.  It's a safe topic for small talk while waiting in line at the grocery store and an adequate fall-back on a first or second date that is lacking in coversation.

It is destructive.  It is the hurricanes, the tornados, the ice storms that wreak havoc and cause hardship.  No one is immune.  There are many things within the realm of control of the human race, but not the weather - never the weather.  We can't control it; we likely can prevent the radical shifts in extreme weather patterns and global warming if we stop burning fossil fuels and decrease carbon emissions, but I doubt we'll see a day where we can convince the hurricane gods to settle down. 

I do wonder, however, if we could make a tornado vacuum.  A huge vacuum that would hover around a funnel cloud and suck it up into oblivion.  That would be cool.

I, personally, have a hard time staying indoors all day.  On days like today, however, it is too hot outside for comfort.  Most things that I like to do involve fresh air and sunshine, and for some reason an obnoxious little voice inside of me criticizes me when I choose to watch a midday movie or bake cookies instead of "enjoying" summer.  So, what's a girl to do?

Well, blog for one.  Also, run at 7am (and still come close to melting in the already unbearable temperatures).  Maybe I'll conquer my inner demon and watch a movie on Netflix.  Or, maybe I'll find a friend and head to a body of water or the frozen food section of the grocery store.  My only hope is that I'll stay in the solid form, and that I will maintain at least some control over my frizz-prone hair.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment