Wednesday, August 28, 2013

[I AM NOT A] Material Girl

I'm craving material things: new shoes, new clothes, a new purse.  Maybe it's because the wireless function on my router has finally been fixed, so I can now sit comfortably in my rocking chair and not nestled up against the modem connected via a very short cable, which has allowed me to do a little online shopping today (window shopping, or whatever it's called in internet language, as I have not made any purchases).  Or, more likely, it's because my life has been inundated with so many NEW things as of late: a new apartment; a new job with new responsibilities and respect (which is new to me after been an intern for the past two years), a new neighborhood, a new pet, some new decorative things, and many new acquaintances.  I guess somehow in the back of my head, a new wardrobe seems like the next logical step.

As much as I like the song and Madonna, I am by no means a "material girl."  I like nice things, yes, but I prefer simpler things, and usually opt for experiences over purchases -- exploratory "adventure" runs in my new neighborhood, curling up with a good book and a glass of wine (or pumpkin beer, 'tis {almost} the season!), cooking like a madman of my day off, and spending time with people close to me.  And that is why this crave for buying things is truly bothering me.  It's partially the money; even though I now actually make money, I don't want to blow it all just so I can get that Portofino shirt from Express and those crocheted Toms and all the components of the "outfits we love" on the Banana Republic website.  Gahhh.  It's also the fact that I don't really like to buy things without seeing them in person, and the last thing I want to do in the world right now is trek to the mall.  Don't even get me started on the mall; it stresses me out with its crowds and needy preteens and overwhelming food courts, and I can never seem to find a water fountain when I need one.  I used to be excited by malls; now I'm excited by the prepared food bar at Wegman's.  Personalities and priorities change, apparently.

And so, I'm hoping I've blogged some sense into myself.  There's a retirement community across the street with outdoor picnic tables and benches that I have yet to see a resident using (maybe retired people don't go outside???  Just kidding, Mom and Dad).  Anyway, I think I'll take advantage of the nice day and borrow their space to relax and read.  Then I'll make muffins.  And I won't go shopping, or buy anything.  Except maybe eggs...so I can make muffins.

The end.



 

1 comment:

  1. Don't be afraid to treat yourself with something nice once in a while :) Buy the shirt.

    ReplyDelete